Sunday, September 19, 2010

A little of this, a little of that...

My parents came over for a visit tonight, much to the girls' delight (I was rather happy about it too, of course!). The girls immediately climbed on Mom & Dad's laps and snuggled close and clamored loudly for their undivided attention. Here, Dad is helping Maddie fill out a Mad Lib. He worked hard to inspire them to pick nouns that weren't "poop" or "butt". :)
_______________________________________________________
A few days ago, Becky (Marvin, that is) brought her beautiful brood and blueberry muffins over and we got to enjoy good food and good friends. Here, Tyler is snuggling the youngest Marvin, Aila. She doesn't look too sure about being left with him...
Maddie and Vivian played with Maddie's My Little Pony magnet book...and dress-up.
Here they model their typical smiles.
_________________________________________________________
My Maia is quite the reader. She's reading at a 5th grade level and is getting more and more excited about reading. It makes this reader's heart glad to see her discover and enjoy one of my greatest loves.
_______________________________________________________
So far, Anchorage's fall has been beautiful. The last week was very foggy, but I liked the way it looked at dawn and dusk...eerily gorgeous. The girls said it felt like we were living in a cloud city and there were definitely days where I had to agree with them.
Maddie is still madly in love with preschool and Maia generally enjoys school, as well. Maia's not a big fan of all the homework, though, but who is?
Lately, Maddie tells me a few times a day that she loves me "google infinity and beyond". When I tell her I love her more, she always asks, "What number?" I always say, "it's so big that words can't describe it" and she always says, in a slightly exasperated voice, "Mom, that's google infinity and beyond!"
Tonight, I was telling Maddie that she should plug her nose while she ate a bite of her soup (she had to take a bite in order to get a cookie and she was complaining about the way my soup smelled). She was worried, though, that then she wouldn't be able to breathe. I showed her that you can breathe through your mouth, and told her that you can't smell through your mouth. Her response, as if this was true of her too and made a difference in her situation, "But snakes can!" I love the randomness of 4-year-olds...they say such wonderful things.
________________________________________________________
I feel happier lately than I have in awhile, which is odd because fall is normally a season of dread for me. My depression and anxiety are normally aggravated by the thought of the coming winter which feels like a huge, oppressive thundercloud on the horizon. I feel bitter and wrung-out and sun-starved by the time spring finally rolls around. Perhaps my new anti-depression medicine is kicking in, but it's not supposed to effect me for a few more weeks (it's one that takes weeks to manifest it's effect, normally). Perhaps my prayers are being answered. I've prayed lately that I can actually enjoy living here. That I can see the beauty in the cold and snow and darkness, which has been almost impossible the last few years. I still feel almost desperate at times to move out-of-state but because of many good reasons, we can't right now and I want to be at peace with where I live. Tyler thinks I should stop watching "House Hunters". He thinks they should make a show that showcases people that are happy where they live and not looking to upgrade (did I mention that I'm also sometimes almost desperate to find a new house here in Anchorage?). I tell him to move out of the way and stop talking because I have to know which house they picked. :)
Anyway, enough virtual word vomit. On to enjoying a quiet evening with my stud-of-a-man.





No comments:

Post a Comment